Main actual teaching
- Experimental Projects in Physics
- Elasticity: lecture and tutorials in Master (download the lecture notes – in french)
- Soft Matter and the Physics of Life: lecture in Master
Other original teachings
I’ve had the opportunity to develop and teach subjects and methodologies that are out of the ordinary. The University’s inherent freedom to teach allows for these kinds of highly instructive and exciting teaching experiences.
Teaching Physics on a climbing wall
A major issue when teaching physics at university consists in giving meaning to the mathematical description of the law of physics. We have associated the physics teaching to sports in order to bring the laws of physics in the context of a recreational activity. The basis of mechanics were introduced through the description of the physics of climbing. Theoretical modeling was confronted to practical work, performed on a climbing wall. Several situations were identified, which can be modeled using simple laws of mechanics : force and momentum balance, and energy conservation.
- De Hosson C., Elias F., RDST – Recherches en didactique des sciences et des technologies, ENS Éditions, 2022, 24, pp.185-210 (2022): La théorie des deux mondes, un outil d’analyse d’une pratique enseignante innovante à l’université : le cas de l’enseignement de la physique par l’escalade.
- Barbi M., Blanc G., Elias F., Fautrat S., de Hosson C., Rio E., Rouyer F., Reflets de la Physique n◦ 46, p. 36 (2015): Enseigner la Physique à l’Université.
History of sciences
Aimed at 3rd year students, this tutorial consisted of having students repeat calculations based on the original texts, such as the calculation of the radius of the Earth based on Eratosthenes’ measurement, the calculation of the retrograde motion of Mars in the epicyclic model and in the heliocentric model, and measurements and calculations taken from texts by Galileo, Descartes and Newton. The notes and corrections for the tutorials are available (in French) by clicking on the links specified.